93 minutes, documentary, color, 2011
A film by Jeffrey Shwarz
A limited number of copies of ‘Out Spoken: a Vito Russo Reader’ are available upon request.
Special Features • Audio Commentary with Jeffrey Schwarz, Arnie Kantrowitz, Michael Schiavi & Charlie Russo • Interview Outtakes • "Our Time" Excerpts (Vito Interviews Harry Hay & Barbara Gittings; Vito on the AIDS Crisis; Vito Interviews Larry Kramer & Virginia Apuzzo; Vito Direct Address to the Gay Community; Vito interviews Harvey Fierstein; Judith Beasely and The Quiche of Peace)
On June 27, 1969, a police raid on a Greenwich Village gay bar took a surprising turn when patrons decided it was time to fight back. As
a riot erupted outside the Stonewall Inn, a new era in the Gay Rights Movement was born. Vito Russo, a 23-year-old film student, was
among the crowd. Over the next twenty years until his death from AIDS in 1990, Vito would go on to become one of the most outspoken
and inspiring activists in the LGBT community's fight for equal rights.
In the midst of his involvement with Act Up and the fight against AIDS, Vito was also a prolific writer. His seminal book The Celluloid
Closet explored the ways in which gays and lesbians were portrayed on film,
what lessons those characters taught gay and straight audiences, and how those
negative images were at the root of society's homophobia. Even before the book
was published, Vito was taking The Celluloid Closet on the road, traveling to gay
film festivals and college campuses for an entertaining and informative lecture/
clip show that intertwined Vito's love of show business and radical gay politics.
He continued writing, lecturing, speaking out and acting up until just months
before his death.
Directed by award-winner Jeffrey Schwarz, Vito paints a galvanizing portrait of
this outspoken activist in the LGBT community's struggle for equal rights, using
period footage and film clips to capture a vibrant era of gay culture.
“Enormously entertaining... Incisive and illuminating. This emotionally powerful documentary...is the stirring testament he deserves.” - The Hollywood Reporter
“Hugely moving and even more inspiring.” - LA Weekly
“I highly recommend it to anyone interested in pop culture, in civil rights, or in how the two are deeply connected. Through his story, 'Vito' becomes not just a biography but a history of his times, as a fight against discrimination became a fight for life.”
- James Poniewozik, Time Magazine
“Involving...vibrant. A dramatic focal point in the history of gay rights.” - Variety
UPC: 7-20229-91537-3 | Catalog #: FRF 915373D | SRP: $27.95 | Street Date: April 30
NURSES: If Florence Could See Us Now
92 minutes, documentary, color, 2012
A film by Kathy Douglas
Special Features • Jonathan and Laurie Reunion - 5 years later • Interview with Marla Weston, CEO , ANA • Alayna Davis, RN - Helps her patient get married • Interview with Director Kathy Douglas, RN, Film Director
It is hard to find a person whose life has not been touched by a nurse, yet how much do we know about these people we let into some of the most intimate, joyful and difficult moments of the human experience? This film offers a rare look into the complex, exciting and challenging world of being a nurse. It explores what it means to be a nurse, the many different roles that nurses play, from the bedside to the board room, and the realities of nursing - its joys and sorrows and the many ways that nurses impact the lives of others. Over 100 nurses from across the country were interviewed for this film. Their stories will move you to laughter and to tears.
• Karen Daley, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN - President, American Nurses Association (ANA)
• Marilyn Chow, RN, DNSc, FAAN - Vice President, National Patient Care Services, Kaiser Permanente
• Donna Nickitas, PhD, R, NEA-BC, CNE, FAAN - Professor, Hunter College, City University of New York Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing - Editor Nursing Economics
• Ann Marie Brooks, RN, DNSc, MBA, FAAN, FACHE - VP Patient Care Services, Riddle Hospital, Main Line Health
• John Fassett, MS, CNM - Certified Nurse Mid-Wife, OBGYN Associates of San Francisco
• Mary Dee Hacker, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN - VP Patient Care Services/CNO, Children's Hospital Los Angeles
• Patricia Reid-Pointe, RN, DNSc, FAAN, NEA-BC - CNO, Sr. Vice President Patient Care Services, Dada Farber Cancer Institute
• Roy Simpson, DNP, RN, DPNAP, FAAN - Vice President Nursing Informatics, Cerner Corporation
“This was the most incredible depiction of nursing that I've ever seen.”
- Paula Dycus, DNP, RN, Tennessee Nurses Association member
“A heart-felt, beautiful representation of nursing, and it made me proud.”
- Barbara Brewer, PhD, RN, Arizona Nurses Association member
Packaged in a 100% Certified Green Forestry Practices Eco Pack
UPC: 7-20229-91553-3 | Catalog #: FRF 915533D | SRP: $24.95 | Street Date: April 30